Keep Mars human free!
It is not impossible that Mars has its own life.
Jonathan Cowie, is one of SF² Concatenation’s founding editors and an SF fan. In real life he is an environmental scientist who has had a career with British learned scientific (mainly biological) societies. He has worked on a range of mostly human ecology (in the broadest sense) related topics. The past decade or so he has developed an interest in Earth system science, biosphere change and evolution.
1. Mojzsis, S. J., Arrhenius, G., Mc Keegan, K. D. et al (1996) Evidence for life on Earth before 3,800 million years ago. Nature, vol. 384, p55-59, and McKeegan, K. D., Kudryavtsev, A. B. & Schopf, J. W. Raman (2007) Ion microscopic imagery of graphitic inclusions in apatite from older than 3,830 Ma Akilia supracrustal rocks, west Greenland. Geology, vol. 35, p591–594.
2. Hassenkam, T., Andersson, M. P., Dalby, K. N., Mackenzie, D. M. A. & Rosing, M. T. (2017) Elements of Eoarchean life trapped in mineral inclusions. Nature, vol. 548, p78-81.
3. Dodd, M. S., Papineau, D., Grenne, T., Slack, J. F., Rittner, M., Pirajno, F., O’Neil, J. & Little, C. T. S. (2017) Evidence for early life in Earth’s oldest hydrothermal vent precipitates. Nature, vol. 543, p60-64.
4. Abramov, O. & Mojzsis, S. J. (2009) Microbial habitability of the Hadean Earth during the Late Heavy Bombardment. Nature, vol. 459, p419-422.
5. Connerney, J. E. P., Acuña, M. H., P. J. Wasilewski, P. J., et al. (1999) Magnetic lineations in the ancient crust of Mars. Science, vol. 284, p794-8.
6. Stevenson, D. J. (2001) Mars core and magnetism. Nature, vol. 412, p214-9.
7. Orosei, R., SLauro, S. E., Pettinelli, E., et al. (2018) Radar evidence of subglacial liquid water on Mars. Science, vol. 361, p490-3.
8. Usui, T., Alexander, C. M. O. D., Wang, J., Simon, J. I. & Jones, J. H. (2015) Meteoritic evidence for a previously unrecognized hydrogen reservoir on Mars. Earth Planetary Science Letters, vol. 410, p140-151.
9. Ojha, L, Wilhelm, M. B., Scott L., Murchie, S. L., et al. (2015) Spectral evidence for hydrated salts in recurring slope lineae on Mars. Nature Geoscience, vol. 8 (11), p829-832.
10. Carter, J., Poulet, F., Bibring, J. P., Mangold, N. & Murchie, S. (2013) Hydrous minerals on Mars as seen by the CRISM and OMEGA imaging spectrometers: updated global view. J. Geophys. Res. Planets, vol.118, p831–858.
11. Wade, J., Dyck, B., Palin, R. M., Moore J. D. P. & Smye, A. J. (2017) The divergent fates of primitive hydrospheric water on Earth and Mars. Nature, vol. 552, p391-4.
12. Di Achille, G. & Hynek, B. M. (2010) Ancient ocean on Mars supported by global distribution of deltas and valleys. Nature Geoscience, vol. 3, p459–463.
13. Citron, R. I., Manga, M. & Hemingway, D. J. (2018) Timing of oceans on Mars from shoreline deformation. Nature, Vol. 555, p643-6.
14. Formisano, V., Atreya, S., Encrenaz, T. et al. (2004). Detection of Methane in the atmosphere of Mars. Science, vol. 306, 1,758–1,761.
15. Webster, C. R., Mahaffy, P. R., Atreya, S. K., Moores, J. E., et al. (2018) Background levels of methane in Mars’ atmosphere show strong seasonal variations. Science, vol. 360, p1,093–1,096.
16. Oze, C. & Sharma, M. (2005). Have olivine, will gas: Serpentinization and the abiogenic production of methane on Mars. Geophysics Research Letters, vol. 32 (10), L10203.
17. Trainer, M. G., Wong, M. H., McConnochie, T. H., et al. (2019). Seasonal variations in atmospheric composition as measured in Gale Crater, Mars. Journal of Geophysical Research: Planets, vol. 124, p3,000–3,024.
18. Wadsworth, J. & Cockell, C. S. (2017) Perchlorates on Mars enhance the bacteriocidal effects of UV light. Scientific Reports, vol. 7, 4,662.
19. Schulze-Makuch, D., Wagner, D., Samuel P. Kounaves, S. P. et al. (2018) Transitory microbial habitat in the hyperarid Atacama Desert. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci., vol. 15 (1), 2,670-2,675.
20. Cowie, J. (2016) Correspondence: Martian dance of fiction and fact. Nature, vol. 538, p317.
21. Wells, H. G. (1898) The War of the Worlds. William Heinemann: London, Great Britain.
22. Clarke, A. C. (1982) 2010: Odyssey Two. Granada: London, Great Britain.